Alternative to Zinc or Zinc Alloy Plating
- Zinc Flake coating is a method to deposit electroless a cathodic protecting layer by applying a lacquer system.
- The coating layer contains lamellar shaped zinc particles in a specialized binder system.
- Additional top coats increase the performance.
- The trend to high strength steel requires suitable layer systems, which cause no stress corrosion by hydrogen embrittlement.
- As no electrical current and no acids are involved, the hydrogen embrittlement is completely avoided.
Zinc Flake Coating Systems
Zinc Flake structure - comparison of diffusion
Zinc Dust vs Zinc Flake
- Layer thickness of zinc flake coating is significantly lower
- Improved barrier protection
- Higher conductivity of the zinc particles leads to incresead cathodic protection.